Appeal Bonds — also referred to as supersedeas bonds — guarantee compliance if the court’s decision is in favor of the other party. Both defendant and plaintiff appeal bonds apply when appealing to a higher court and assure that the monetary judgment will be paid if the appeal fails.
What Is an Appeal Bond?
An appeal surety bond is a form of judicial bond that guarantees compliance if the court’s decision is in favor of the other party.
Also referred to as supersedeas bonds, both defendant and plaintiff appeal bonds apply when appealing to a higher court and assure that the monetary judgment will be paid if the appeal fails.
Types of Appeal Bonds:
- When an appellant wants to delay payment of a judgment until the appeal process is over, they secure a supersedeas bond or a defendant’s appeal bond.
- When an appellant wants to appeal their case to a higher court, they secure an appeal surety bond to cover the opposing party’s court costs if the appeal is unsuccessful.
Great Rates on Appeal Bonds
Brunswick Companies’ surety bonds group is a full-service, national surety bonding agency, licensed in every U.S. state. We specialize in meeting the surety needs of legal professionals.
Our surety experts provide responsive, knowledgeable assistance to attorneys and other individuals in need of court bonds.
How Do I Get an Appeal or Supersedeas Bond
A surety agent like Brunswick Companies can help you secure an appeal or supersedeas bond. To get your bond, you will need to provide:
- An application and executed indemnity agreement supplied by the surety broker/agent
- A copy of the court paperwork for the initial complaint and judgement in the court case only
- Collateral funds to pay the bond premium
Depending on the amount of the bond, the surety underwriter will require financial statements from your business, personal accounts, or both and a suitable credit score that will support the request. The surety company will approve the bond and it can be issued to you once the collateral requirements are in place, and you can then present it to the court and continue with proceedings.
Wider Selection of Surety Bond Companies
Mark Levinson, Senior Vice President of Surety, has extensive experience in providing supersedeas bonds. He has developed strong relationships with the leading surety bonding companies to provide our clients with access to more favorable terms and conditions.
Why Choose Brunswick Companies
Brunswick Companies’ appeal bonding specialists guide clients through the process of obtaining a supersedeas bond as well as other surety bonds, risk management solutions and insurance.
Brunswick Companies provides our clients with:
- Great rates on surety bonds
- Fast, responsive and knowledgeable service
- Access to a wider selection of surety providers
- Competitive rates on all types of surety bonds
- Guidance through the process of obtaining surety insurance
- A proactive approach to improving your access to surety credit
- Assistance with specialized surety bonding needs
Ready to explore your options for an appeal bond? Reach out to Brunswick Companies for a quote today.