After recent conflicts overseas, some people may be questioning whether their vacation plans—made months or even years in advance—should be abandoned for safety reasons. While some countries are on advisory and warning lists, preparation and precaution could still allow for an enjoyable time abroad.
Here are safe travel suggestions, not just for travel to Europe, but to any country—particularly if the State Department has issued a warning or advisory.
- Log your travel plans with the State Department. The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate. It makes it easier for you to be found in case of emergency; and for the government to track the number of U.S. citizens in a country at any one time.
- Ensure your mobile phone works abroad. Investigate your phone carrier’s international plan—some offer short-term international plans for business or vacation travel. Or rent a phone or buy a SIM card locally. If your phone needs to be unlocked to use an international SIM card, ask your carrier to do it before you leave.
- Program your phone with the address and phone number of the American Embassy in your travel country. You can find embassy information on the US Embassy website.
- Know your travel country’s “911” equivalent. Not every country uses 911 as its emergency contact number: the State Department provides a list of emergency contact numbers, with the caveat that you won’t always get an English-speaking operator, of course. Free app messaging services are also good ways of making contact.
- Give your family members or friends a copy of your itinerary. One of the simplest measures you can take is making a detailed itinerary for your family back home, including travel dates and flight numbers, hotels and hotel phone numbers, and travel agent information.
Do you frequently travel for pleasure? Call Brunswick Companies today at 800-686-8080 to speak to one of our Personal Insurance experts about additional accident and health coverage. Our insurance product for frequent travelers has services and resources that enhance travel security and peace of mind.
Adapted from Chubb. Brunswick Companies is an independent insurance agency representing only A Rated carriers. We value our carriers’ investments in research and proudly share their market insights.