Why Do I Need a Renters Insurance Policy?
If you rent, rather than own, you may think you don't need insurance. After all, your landlord probably has coverage to replace or restore your dwelling. That policy may even provide coverage for alternate living quarters while that work takes place. However, what many renters don't realize is...
Your Landlord's Homeowners' Policy Doesn't Cover Your Personal and Family Belongings
How much would it cost to replace all of your belongings if your rental unit was heavily damaged by a fire or storm? Could you afford this loss?
A Renter Insurance Policy is an affordable way to protect your possessions
Our personal lines specialists will listen to your needs, explain the scope of insurance protection you require and recommend a program that best meets your expectations and financial goals.
Renters Insurance Policy Coverage includes:
- Personal Belongings, no matter where they are used
- Personal Liability that protects you against a claim or lawsuit if someone is injured or their property is damaged while in your apartment
- Moving Expenses if dwelling becomes uninhabitable because of insured loss
Renters Insurance Options include such features as:
- Contents Replacement provides full replacement cost for personal belongings with no deduction for depreciation.
- Personal Injury protects you against libel and slander.
- Identity Theft Protection provides assistance from a consumer fraud specialist and covers expenses related to restoring your good name and financial reputation.
- Valuable Items Endorsement provides a blanket of coverage that is broader than what is available in the basic Renters policy. Ideal for people who own valuable possessions such as jewelry, artwork, cameras and computers.
- Personal Articles Floater provides even more comprehensive coverage than the Valuable Items endorsement. Ideal for people who wish to protect items that have been carefully selected and whose values exceed the limits of either the Renters policy or the Valuable Items endorsement.
- Umbrella Policy. Offer additional liability protection.
- Flood Coverage. Flood damage is typically not covered under a homeowners or renters policy. This affordable protection covers damage to your property and provides cleanup reimbursement.
- Pleasure Boat Insurance for small watercraft.
- "All-risk" Policy
You must complete an inventory of your household goods. You can do this by completing a list by hand or by computer, taking pictures and/or recording a video. Keep important receipts in a fireproof safe. Using two methods, such as a list and a video, can help expedite the claim resolution process.